...which is why this blog post is devoted to him, rather than me. I promise there will be a real blog post soon about what I've been doing, but I don't feel like typing a lot right now because I spent seven hours today copying down the names and authors of the books in the library at House of Martha (where the kids from 4-14 stay). My hand feels like I just took five SAT tests in a row with no break. Good stuff.
Anyway, Don wrote a book called Blue Like Jazz, and it is one of my absolute favorite books. If you want to read about it, you can go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Like_Jazz. It was going to be made into a movie, though was put on hold indefinitely regardless of the fact that it has a "strong screenplay, a stellar cast, and rave reviews" because of a lack of funding. So, if you read the book and were affected by it, I encourage you to donate whatever you can so that the movie that has affected so many people so strongly and so beautifully can be made into a movie. I'm quite the saleswoman, aren't I? Haha. Nope. But if you are interested in donating, or just seeing how far we are away from our goal, you can go here: http://www.savebluelikejazz.com.
"I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. But I was outside the Bagdad Theater in Portland one night when I saw a man playing the saxophone. I stood there for fifteen minutes, and he never opened his eyes.
After that I liked jazz music.
Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way.
I used to not like God because God didn't resolve.
But that was before any of this happened."
- Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz
(end of my shameless advertising.)
You are ridiculous! But that's probably why we all love you...
ReplyDelete