Saturday, March 12, 2011

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Since I’ve written last, a lot has changed here. Some volunteers have gone home, and some more have come. It’s less lonely here. Our cat lost her kittens and more have been born. We have a new Executive Director, as well as many other new staff members in different positions.

I’ve started picking up responsibilities other than teaching at the school, so I’ve spent less time there. I’ve gotten to see more of what Christian Alliance for Children in Zambia does, going out with the staff on the monthly food distribution/baby weighing they do, as well as visiting their community schools.


Here is a picture from driving to Kanyama. It had just rained the day before, so it was a bit more like we were boating than driving:



Here is me with some of the kids at Tithandize Community School in Kanyama:


CACZ’s mission is for all of their work to be under the umbrella of the church. Following through with this idea, many of the schools hold their classes literally in the church. This is True Gospel Community School:



Other churches have their classrooms built on the grounds of church, rather than in the sanctuary itself. This is Garden Presbyterian’s school. Just to the right of these classrooms (not pictured) is the church:


It’s been so amazing to go around and visit these schools. While I’ve been here I’ve been questioning whether or not I really want to be a teacher, and while I’m slowly realizing that this may not be something I want to do for the rest of my life, I still find the education process fascinating and the kids an absolute inspiration and just so much fun.


Tizaonana!


No comments:

Post a Comment